AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
Avocado tuna salad is loaded with chunks of tuna, avocado and colorful veggies for a fresh and lighter take on the classic dish!
It’s the perfect lunch or dinner that’s packed with protein and nutrition.
HOW DO YOU MAKE AVOCADO TUNA SALAD?
Recipe starts with canned tuna, which is drained and flaked in a bowl. Mix the tuna with avocado, thinly sliced red onion, cucumber and cilantro and red onion to form the base of the salad. A simple lime dressing goes over the top, then the final step is to toss, eat and enjoy!
TIPS FOR AVOCADO TUNA SALAD
- I use water packed tuna versus oil packed tuna so that I can control the fat content of the recipe.
- Try using a mandoline to thinly slice your onion. You can also used minced onion or shallots if you prefer.
- Choose firm but ripe avocados. You want to make sure your avocados are on the firm side so that they won’t get mushy when you toss the salad together.
- I am prefer can be made up to 6 hours before you plan to serve it. Simply omit the avocado, then stir in the avocado right before serving.
- While I typically use cilantro in this recipe, you can also try parsley, chives or even fresh dill.
TUNA SALAD VARIATIONS
This is a basic recipe, but there are so many different ways to customize it to your tastes!
- Vegetables: You can add other veggies to the mic such as corn, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers or olives.
- Beans: Add some canned beans for an extra dose of protein and fiber. Some of my favorite options include black beans, chickpeas or cannellini beans.
- Cheese: Sometimes I like to sprinkle a little cheese into the mix such as feta or crumbled cotija.
HOW TO SERVE TUNA SALAD
There are so many different ways to serve this tuna salad, and they all happen to be super delicious.
- Bread: Serve your salad on toasted wheat bread with lettuce and tomato.
- Pita: Stuff your salad into half of a pita bread.
- Chips: Scoop up the salad with tortilla chips.
- Lettuce Cups: Spoon the salad into romaine or butter lettuce leaves.
- Tomato: Stuff the salad into a hollowed out tomato.
- Wrap: Spread a spinach tortilla with a little mayonnaise. Add the tuna salad and roll up tightly. Cut in half and serve.
Avocado Tuna Salad
- 3 cans tuna water packed drained
- 1 cup English cucumber quartered and sliced
- 1 avocado seeded peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the tuna, cucumber, avocado, red onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the tuna mixture; gently toss to coat. Serve immediately.