This popcorn shrimp recipe is tender bites of shrimp coated in seasonings and deep fried to golden brown perfection. An easy appetizer option that’s sure to be a hit with family and friends.
HOW DO YOU MAKE POPCORN SHRIMP?
Mix together flour and seasonings to create the coating for the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with a small amount of the seasoned flour, then dip each shrimp into an egg and milk mixture. Coat each shrimp with another layer of flour, then place them in a pot of hot oil to cook. Drain, then serve immediately with your choice of sauce on the side.
HOW TO PEEL AND DEVEIN SHRIMP
To peel shrimp, simply use your thumb to press into the underside of the shrimp where the legs are. Peel each side of the shell back going from front to tail. You can devein a shrimp by making a cut along the top of the raw shrimp with a sharp paring knife. The cut should go from the front of the shrimp to the tail. Cut about 1/8 inch into the shrimp. Inside the cut you will see a dark vein. Remove the vein with the tip of your knife.
TIPS FOR THE PERFECT SHRIMP
- Be sure to use a frying thermometer to keep your oil at the appropriate temperature. If the oil is too hot, the shrimp can burn. If the oil is too cold, the popcorn shrimp can absorb excess oil and become greasy.
- Fried shrimp is best when you serve it immediately. You can reheat popcorn shrimp in the oven, however there’s a chance that the shrimp will become rubbery from the extended baking time.
- I like to serve popcorn shrimp my fried shrimp with cocktail sauce. Other great options include marinara sauce
- Mexican: Add 2 teaspoons chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon cumin to the flour mixture.
- Italian: Omit the paprika. Add 1/4 teaspoon onion powder and 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning to the flour. Sprinkle the cooked shrimp with grated parmesan cheese.
- Cajun: Add 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning to the flour. Serve with remoulade for dipping.
- Asian: Omit the paprika. Add 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder to the flour. Top the cooked shrimp with sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- 1 pound small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika smoked or regular
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, paprika, pepper and garlic power.
- Pat the shrimp dry and place them in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the flour mixture and toss to combine until the shrimp are all coated.
- Heat 3-4 inches of oil in a large deep pot to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- Dip each shrimp into the milk mixture, then dredge in the remaining seasoned flour.
- Place 8-10 pieces of shrimp in the oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the shrimp from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat the process with the remaining shrimp.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.